Jun 09, 2017
This course enhanced my perspective, I took it parallel to my ongoing courese, the cases discussed in this module helped me to analyse the application of various marketing concepts. Thanks a lot...!
Dec 11, 2015
Great! I am taking the course with almost no experience in this area. Really enjoyed this class and learned a lot. A lot of practical examples which helped me to understand all the parts. Thank you!
автор: aseem b•
Aug 08, 2016
This course on Marketing is a marketing disaster for WhartonOnline. This course made me understand atleast one thing in great clarity, that I should not waste money on Wharton courses. The amount of effort put into the course material, into the organization and flow of material (or lack thereof), and into the quality of videos and content delivery, would sum up right about to Zero. Needless to say, this review is going to be highly critical, since I expected some value and quality from a school like Wharton. Should you pay $95 for this course. I think they should pay you for wasting your time. The course tries to teach the importance of branding, and customer centricity, and personifies how not to do it.
Here are some specific complaints I have with the course, in no particular order. You might not agree with all of them, and some might seem insignificant, but in any case, here they are :
1. Platform : The entire course is just a series of videos, and plenty of them are over 15 minutes long. It's hard to imagine that students would be able to keep their attention, and grasp new and/or tough concepts with such an approach. A combination of text, figures, videos, and interactive exercises would have made it much easier to grasp the material
2. Videos : High school kids can make multimedia of better quality. Videos consist of someone talking for several minutes, with occasional inclusion of presentation slides. Slides are no help either. It seems material is copied out of a text book, then pasted into a slide, and then integrated into a video. And then professor spends a few minutes reading out the text of the slides. The diagrams are lifeless, asymmetrical and does not help advance the understanding.
3. Structure : The order in which videos are presented doesn't make sense. There is no structure to the material which would help you understand the concepts in a logical and progressive manner. Sometimes, the heading of the video does not even seem to match with the content. It feels all videos were filmed in an ad hoc fashion and then just put together in a random order.
4. Discussion Forum is not a great help either. You would want to see more activity and brainstorming there, considering so many students take this course. But, there is no incentive for the students to share ideas and contribute, since passing the course does not depend on discussion forums. When "Mentors" reply to some answers, those answers seemed to be pasted out of a text book.
5. Quiz : In its current structure, there is no point of having a quiz at the end of the week. The goal should be assimilating or internalizing the material and concepts, not just pass the quiz. The course allows you to retake a quiz upto 3 times a week, so you don't really need to go through the videos at all. They don't check if you went through all the videos before taking the quiz. And they don't give you answers and explanation after the quiz is done, since then the students would always score 100% on the second try. If I can not even understand where my understanding lacks and fix it, why am I taking this quiz.
8. Final Exam : You can find answers to most questions by just searching the key phrase in the course material. And they help you in doing that by telling you which Professor's videos you need to search. They don't test you on concepts, they test you whether you can remember what the Professor X meant when he/she made a statement Y.
9. Content Delivery: I found second week to be the best in terms of content delivery, but the rest of the weeks were more or less lacking. The examples or analogies given did not always match the concept introduced. If you read the transcript of the videos, the sentences spoken would not even make much sense. Many times, you can find the professor glancing down, as if looking at the laptop screen besides her, to read out the slides. The professor comes out as nervous and fidgety, which is very distracting, to say the least.
If you are still reading this review, I hope you would spend your $95 on a subscription to a business magazine, or may be just on some good food. This course is definitely not worth it, and it 'll cost you more in your precious time.
автор: Timothy W•
Apr 02, 2020
Very informational and easy to follow, especially for someone who has zero prior knowledge in marketing. Loved the contents and teachings from all 3 professors, and as someone with a mechanical engineering background, I find that professor Fader's quantitative methods on analyzing the performance and health of a business using a bottom-up approach resonates most with me. Will definitely be doing more of my own research on CLV and the variables we can control to maximize it for my own business. Thank you!
автор: maria i l•
Feb 05, 2018
excelente introduction course!! Marketing was an unknown area in my professional life and this course made me realized all the aspects that are involves in a market. This course active my needs for information and reasearch in my area and see all markest around me. Help me to evaluate my personal and intitutional perform and what I did right and wrong. I have new ideas to improved my professional life and motivation to develop (in future) a brand.
... And motivation to keep in this formation.
автор: Deborah L•
Aug 13, 2017
It covers a lot of concepts, has a lot of illustrated cases and they are used and developped during the course, so it makes it a business case. I can apply all these concepts in an Internal Control/ Business Process Management thinking as they are that relevant! Excellent course. I have also very much appreciated the professors, their dynamism, the videos are not boring due to their different styles and ability to bring up the key points.
Mar 13, 2016
Excellent course with very interesting content and well explained. I reccommend this course even if you already have some insight about marketing.
I am giving 5 stars because the content was very insightful but I missed interaction with teachers, like in a real-time session or master class.
Also the price of the course (99$) in my opinion is very high for a massive online course which may deter people from buying the certification.
автор: Nicholas ( M•
Mar 28, 2018
Introduction to Marketing helped clarify many intuitions I had about marketing and clarified some misperceptions I had of marketing principles, especially in the online world. Each lecturer clearly introduced and explained marketing concepts and anchored those concepts effectively to real-world examples. I'd love to attend a lecture by any of the professors who created this course. I highly recommend Introduction to Marketing!
автор: Benoît C•
Nov 20, 2017
Very good introduction on Marketing concepts.
I would have appreciated more case studies or a more structured documentation, as all the new words and concepts are quite hard to digest. But overall I'm very satisfied of this course. Assignments are helpful to extract all the value from the course and to get a better understanding of all the concepts.
Thanks a lot to Pr Kahn, Fader and bell for putting all this together.
автор: POLA U K•
May 26, 2019
The course has been excellent. I learned a lot from this course. To be honest, I have never expected this from my side. From where i have come from, I did not go through such type of experience before. I didn't expect a course to be this much interesting and realistic. Overall amazing to have being enrolled for this course. Thank you all professors for giving us such wonderful experience and priceless knowledge.
автор: Renee A W•
Dec 29, 2015
This course was truly informative! Although deemed an introductory course, the material was still presented in a very thorough and comprehensive manner with real world examples that helped to enhance the learning experience. It was pretty easy to make the link between the content and my very own business concept; helping me to work out the kinks in my approach to marketing. highly recommend this course!
автор: Mochammad F A•
Dec 26, 2019
This course very encouraging and intriguing. Delivered with current issue and hot topics, like internet for marketing also e-commerce and startup activity. I can easily understand because this course bring perfect combination from theory and practical research. Honestly this course sharpen my knowledge and guide me to make a better decisions in my real life career also business management activity.
автор: Aleesa A H•
Jun 19, 2017
Loved the material and lectures. Highly applicable concepts and examples. I incorporated some of the vocabulary into work communications each week. Would have liked an intro to the math involved in MBA-level marketing classes, that's what I was most hoping to test drive as I consider an MBA. Perhaps include some of that as side examples for those truly trying to decide if they could handle it?
автор: ANATOLIY P•
Mar 08, 2017
The best part of this course is the discussion forum. Not only you have the material, but you have also an opportunity to discuss the subject with the brightest individuals from all over the world. Great course if you want to feel alive. If you want to experience a real collegiate atmosphere. I've made great friends on this course and they are still in touch with me via LinkedIn and Facebook.
автор: Aimee M•
Feb 24, 2020
I thought this course was GREAT. I'm not a highly educated person so I was worried I'd be intimidated but I wasn't. The professors are very impressive people, no doubt, but they speak clearly and are interesting to listen to. I feel this course peaked my interest in the subject and I find it more fascinating than I did coming in. I'm also proud of my certificate and will share it with pride.
автор: Ricardo T F•
Sep 12, 2017
very interesting, full of excellent content and very nice tezhers. The sond of professor Bell lecturs was somehow distorted and difficult to undertand. Suggestion is to e possible to award a participation certificate (not verifiable) to people who cannot pay the costs but have participated and been approved in the quizzes and final exam. Congratulations to the team and to Penn University!!!
автор: Minqi G•
Jan 22, 2017
I especially like Professor Khan's lectures. The structure is well organized and very easy to follow. It gives me a quite good understanding on marketing basics. Customer centricity is more practical. The theory is very simple but the implementation is full of challenges. I really wish the contents could focus more on the methods to resolve practical issues than just brought out issues.
автор: Cristian R•
Dec 31, 2019
It is obviously impossible to cover such a broad subject in a single course. My no means I feel I am now knowledgable in marketing. But taking into account this is not the goal of this course, but instead, provide a brief introduction to key concepts, I think it does precisely that, and it gives you enough resources to expand this knowledge on your own if you choose to put in the work.
автор: Daniel N•
Aug 01, 2016
The videos are high quality and very engaging. I can also download the material on my iPad Coursera App and watch the lessons offline. The posts on the Discussion Forum helps understand the material better even if you just read through the questions and answers without posting anything yourself. Overall, a great course - to some extent better than some courses I took in class!
автор: ZHANG L•
Feb 18, 2016
I do really love this course. The pace is fast and information is quite plenty to know about Marketing. The case studies along with the sessions are exstremely comprehendable to understand some concepts and situation. Thanks for the updated inforamtion about online and offline competition, I do think digital marketing will become more and more significant in near future.
автор: NEHA N•
Aug 21, 2019
This course is really very helpful to the beginners to start from the scratch. It helped me to understand what is marketing, it's components like branding, customer centricity, market strategies, customer decision making, social targeting, online-offline interactions. Thank you professors Bell, Fader and Kahn and entire coursera team for such a knowledgeable course.
автор: Yiling L•
Dec 03, 2018
This course begins with the really fundamentals like what is marketing to customer centric marketing and at last to different marketing techniques. I really got the difference between these terms like customer centric and product centric marketing, and also lots of interesting observations like long tail effect and how Internet is affecting people's behavior.
автор: Ahmed M Y I•
Dec 01, 2015
I consider this course is a must for anyone who is interested to have a quick and full insight about marketing. Professors are really amazing. It was easy for me to understand marketing fundamentals by watching videos only and without effort. I'm looking forward to finish this course and apply for the next financial accounting fro wharton university too.
автор: Amanda C•
Mar 21, 2019
As somebody who is completely new to marketing, this course is incredible at breaking down and explaining the foundations of marketing strategies. Informative and educational, I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in pursuing marketing, seeking a career change, or looking to add another valuable learning experience to their repertoire.
автор: Heidi W•
Sep 11, 2016
In the first week alone, i am already learning so many strategies and principles I can implement in my job (which is for a residential and commercial janitorial service). I am so excited about how the rest of the course is going to help me build my employer's business for her, as she is a minority small business owner. This is incredibly exciting.
автор: Steven H•
Feb 03, 2016
Excellent course - I especially enjoyed the non-classroom, on-site lectures that are naturally more interesting.
I would recommend an update - while the core principles are relevant, the content is now 2-3 years old. I would also appreciate more video links to case studies and real-life interviews with insights into marketing in real-world practice.
автор: Ulkar J•
Feb 01, 2019
It was very interesting and very useful for me. It was first time that I took marketing course and I really liked it and enjoyed during all sessions. I especially thank to all lecturers who shared valuable knowledge with very basic and simple explanations with me. I could not even imagine that marketing is such an interesting area. Thanks a lot.