Amazing course for beginners! The entire course is well structured and has good hands-on assignments. SQL is extremely essential for Database management and fun learning so please do try this one out!
A very useful course with some very interesting datasets/Jupyter notebooks to work through/practice your skills. Offers a good balanced blend between theory and practical/practice. Very good course!
автор: Rompolakis N•
1) Material and presentation was not engaging and structured
2) Final assignment in terms of administration (copy pastes and screenshots upload) was a pain in the ass
3) Not enough hands on exercises
автор: In W C•
A lot of the "optional" materials are actually quite important. UC Davis's SQL course is far superior to this one due to more access to coding practice assignments. I expected more from IBM.
автор: enric g n•
I expected a more detailed explanation in templates. as it was done in the previous course (Python for Data Science and AI). since this database theme is done with many procedures
автор: james m•
We spend more time debugging and googling to get things to work than the actual project time. The forum is full of this, but the IBM guys do nothing. This is putrid it tell you!
автор: Amy S M•
Would be awesome with a few corrections and updates to course materials- more concise and clear instructions would also be helpful for this beginner level course.
автор: George O•
[Reviewing the entire specialization but points are applicable for each course]
I signed up for the IBM Data Science specialization and I was genuinely excited to start it for some 4-5 weeks (I had a GCP exam coming up). I eventually started the specialization beginning of August `20 and started making my way though it and I was amazed … amazed of how much a pile of bullshit this specialization is. I made it though the first 4 courses and at the end of the SQL for data science I couldn’t take it anymore. Here’s why:
1. First and foremost, the entire specialization (all 4 courses I have taken at least) were full of typos and broken URLs which a lot of other students confirm as well. This does not speak professionalism to me but whatever, lets move on.
2. The in-video quizzes and following tests are simply ridiculous … you are expected to have memorized content word by word rather than understand thing for your own and be able to explain them. Some of the question were so far away from tech courses it is not even funny.
3. The final assignments are a total joke. We are asked to review each other which IMHO is a terrible idea since we are all just starting up. Nothing stops you from giving top marks to a bad assignments and vice versa.
4. We eventually got to the more techy part and even got code snippets and jupyter notebooks to look through but they were still bad. There was no proper order in which information was presented i.e. you would read python and seaborn code in the SQL course’s tasks even though python and matplotlib/seaborn are discussed in the following courses.
5. And my final and biggest problem with this whole specialization is that it all feel like an extended advertisement of this piece-of-dodo tech inbred excuse-of-a-software called IBM cloud. There are constants up-sells here and there how almighty IBM is and how great their cloud and IBM Watson Studio are … they are not. I had to spend 2+ hours fixing problems with jupyter notebooks and their cloud just to complete my assignments which both took me 30ish minutes. They mention open source and even though there are open source equivalents to jupyter they insist using IBM cloud. I kept having the feeling they are more focused on promoting IBM products than actually bringing quality content.
6. Now after finishing the SQL course there was a 1min survey which I gladly filled in basically letting them know their specialization if terrible and is doing more harm than good in my opinion. I even sent them a quick challenge because I do not think IBM maintains this course at all or even reads the reviews. You can see my challenge to IBM here: https://bit.ly/3geOyfb
I was very saddened by the quality of the specialization and the content and was wondering whether I should even try and finish the remaining courses but after reading some reviews on the remaining courses I figured out it was just more of the same. If you are in the same boat I would recommend the kaggle micro-courses which I will focus on starting next week.
In conclusion, I got this whole specialization for free via financial aid and I have to say even though I did not pay a dime I feel I need to be compensated by IBM and refunded real money for torturing myself with their courses.
автор: Shubhangee L•
Any screenshot referring to ibm cloud is clearly outdated as it does not match with the current website. Instructions on how to get db2 connection credentials are MISSING and the ibm cloud website is not at all intuitive. There is no way to change the default uid/password for db2 connection and there are no instructions either in the ibm cloud site or in this course.
I just spent almost an hour trying to solve this problem but in vain. I should not be wasting time and resources trying to establish a stupid database connection.
For $39 plus tax per month this is not only disappointing but robbery!
автор: Vincent L•
The videos do not show the proper syntax (there are no ";" at the end of the queries) and pass over concepts quickly. They begin with "After watching this video, you will know how to do a, b, c, ..." and by the end of the video, I can't say I know any of the content presented.
The creation of the IBM account was complicated as there are many sets of instructions in different places on the course's page.
There was also a mistake in a hands-on lab (which I reported).
I would not recommend this course at all.
автор: Vincenzo S•
If I could I would rate this course 0/5
None of the resources you ARE OBLIGED TO USE to accomplish the course work. You have to use The console on IBM cloud for DB2 and does not work. You should install the desktop version of the software and it is somehow blocked by US export laws (what on earth should that mean?)
Why do not you provide alternative ways to do it?! That's just disappointing, to say the least.
Shame on the creators and people lucrating on this product.
автор: Brandon W•
Lots of errors. To this course's credit, there was a lot of effort providing practice work in the early material. For the more difficult tasks at the end, there was far less structured practice work.
https://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp this link will come in extremely useful, as will supplementary YouTube videos..
автор: David B•
This is a useless course. I've done many courses on Coursera without issues, but I would not recommend this one, mostly because you've got a zero chance of getting any response from anyone if you need clarification or assistance with anything, even completing assignments.
автор: Andreas E•
Die Videos sind veraltet und die Plattform von IBM hat sich mittlerweile stark geändert. Ebenfalls treten einige Fehler auf, das ablegen des finalen Testats war nicht möglich, da der Timestam im CSV "Chicago_Crime.." nicht erkannt wird..
автор: Ashish D•
Very limited to IBM DB2. Not useful in real world.
Very limited and restrictive practice and assinments.
For a true learning experience one needs to do a lot of external research and work to show a measureable benifit.
автор: Tomás A U•
Todos los laboratorios tuve problema para cargar datos y muchos inconvenientes mas que no pude solucionar de ninguna forma y que en el foro de discucion tampoco pude encontrar una solucion
автор: Jake Z•
The tools used are not very user friendly, I spent more time troubleshooting them than actually learning. It feels like the instructions need to be reworked and ordered correctly.
автор: Kira S•
This course doesn't work. It relies on IBM Cloud that will spit out an ERROR message with every command, even if you copy and paste from the course instructions. Save your money.
автор: Jeffrey K•
No clue how to find anything on IBM cloud for the last assignment. How can it be so hard to write clearly how something is done? You are changing money for this.
автор: Yuandong S•
DB2 instance required in the course can not be created due to repeatable service issue and it naturally stops the following courses.
автор: Mariia S•
Poor explanation, lack of tasks and bad developing environment provided. I'm very disappointed with this course.
автор: Kurt E•
Labs are always down and time out so you are unable to practice what you are learning.... Very frustrating!
автор: Inês F•
There were several problems with the labs for several days, and the staff didn't offer any solution.
автор: Jacqueline R•
Not user friendly.
Errors present. Have to do a lot of work-arounds.
Dreading finishing this course.
автор: Philipp L•
The IBM Watson Cloud needed for the assessment does not work and I can't use the console.
автор: Johann Q•
Boring course. Not application based. No learning by doing.
Boring and monoton lectures.
автор: Maria B•
I actually liked this course. It introduces you to all the basic SQL commands (select, aggregate functions (min, max, sum, avg), joins etc). The labs enable you to create tables in the DB2 database (=the IBM database) and query them from a Jupyter Notebook. I have my own Jupyter Notebook installed , however, you can run and practice queries on the IBM environment as well. Then I liked that in the final assignment in week 5, the last problem 7 was a bit challenging ( I spent some 2 hours on this problem alone! searching the internet and the course forum. As a result, I did memorise how the INNER JOIN command works!!). The rest of the problems really had the same simple commands as in the labs. Finally, I received a helpful response from Rav Ahuja, the tutor of this course, the following day after I posted my question. I liked that rather than giving me a ready command, he pointed me to a general solution to this problem (in case I encounter the same problem again). Overall, I'm impressed with this course.
Hint: please save your log in credentials and the link to Dashboard-IBM Cloud from Lab1/week 1, you'll need to use them many times in other labs and the final assignment!